In attempt to define what data lifecycle, data management professionals describe data lifecycle as phases with each having unique features. This phases include;
- Data capturing where data values were not available before. This phase is further subdivided into; i) data acquisition ii) data entry iii) signal reception
- Data maintenance includes tasks such as data movement, cleansing, integration and enrichment
- Data synthesis involves creation of data values by use of inductive reasoning and other input methods.
- Data usage is where data is applied in the management of an organization or business enterprise.
- Data publication which involves sharing information with other business units or enterprises.
- Data archival occurs when data is copied to external environment in case it is needed in the near future.
As a matter of facts, some data processes or phase it is not a must that they follow every step discussed in the above phases.